In the days after a shamanic healing session, I find that our Astral Body (our Emotional Body) is recalibrating and so repressed emotions from the past may re-surface in order to be released. I advise my clients to feel the emotion, knowing that when we let it flow through us, it returns back to Mother Earth where she transmutes it into light.
To support the healing process, I love the way Taoist Qigong practices confront heavy emotional energy, linking each emotion with an internal organ system of the body and an element in Nature. One of these practices is called the Six Healing Sounds which transforms any heavy energy stored in the organs into healing light.
This practice supports us to release old patterns of emotion so that we no longer hold onto the energy they carry or send it to another human being, which eventually will find its way back to us through the law of karma. When heavy emotional energy is transmuted, it can then be circulated through the Microcosmic Orbit to send healing energy throughout the body. Here's the sequence:
FIRST HEALING SOUND: LUNG (METAL)
1. Become aware of your lungs. Take a deep breath and, letting your eyes follow, raise the arms up in front of you. When the hands are at eye level, begin to rotate the palms and bring them up above the head. Keep the elbows rounded. You should feel a stretch that extends from the heels of the palms, along the forearms, over the elbows, along the upper arms and into the shoulders. The lungs and chest will feel open and breathing will be easier. Draw the corners of the mouth back, exhale, making the sound "Ssssssss", sub-vocally, slowly and evenly in one breath.
2. As you exhale, empty all feelings of sadness, sorrow and grief from your lungs.
3. When you have exhaled completely (without straining), rotate the palms down, close the eyes, and breathe in to the lungs to strengthen them. If you are color oriented, imagine a pure white light and quality of righteousness entering into your lungs. Float the arms down by gently lowering the shoulders. Slowly lower them to your lap so that they rest there, palms up.
4. Close the eyes, breathe normally, smile down to the lungs, be aware of the lungs, and imagine that you are still making the sound. Pay attention to any sensations you may feel. Try to feel the exchange of cool, fresh energy replacing hot, dark waste energy.
5. Repeat the sequence 3 to 6 times. The Lung Sound can help eliminate nervousness. Do the Lung Sound sub-vocally without the hand movements several times when you feel nervous as it will help you to calm down.
SECOND HEALING SOUND: KIDNEY (WATER)
1. Become aware of the kidneys. Place the legs together, ankles and knees touching. Take a deep breath as you bend forward, and clasp one hand in the other; hook the hands around the knees and pull back on the arms. With the arms straight, feel the pull at the back where the kidneys are; look up, and tilt the head back without straining.
2. Round the lips and silently make the sound one makes in blowing out a candle, "Chooooo". At the same time, press the middle abdomen, between the sternum and navel, toward the spine. Imagine any feelings of fear being squeezed out from the membrane around the kidneys.
3. When you have exhaled completely, sit up and slowly breathe in to the kidneys, imagining a bright blue energy as the quality of gentleness enters the kidneys. Separate the legs to a hip's width and rest the hands, palms up, on the thighs.
4. Close the eyes and breathe normally. Smile to the kidneys, as you imagine that you are still making the sound. Pay attention to sensations. Be aware of the exchange of energy around the kidneys, and hands, head and legs.
5. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
THIRD HEALING SOUND: LIVER (WOOD)
1. Become aware of the liver, and feel the connection between the eyes and the liver. Place your arms at your sides, palms out. Take a deep breath as you slowly swing the arms up and over the head. Follow with the eyes.
2. Exhale with the sound, "Shhhhhhh", sub-vocally. Envision and feel that a sac encloses the liver and is compressing and expelling the excess heat and feelings of anger and frustration.
3. When you have exhaled completely, unlock the fingers, and pressing out with the heels of the palms, breathe into the liver slowly; imagine a bright green color quality of kindness entering the liver. Gently bring the arms back to the side by lowering the shoulders. Place your hands on your lap, palms up, and rest.
4. Close the eyes, breathe normally, smile down to the liver and imagine you're still making the sound. Be aware of sensations. Sense the energy exchange.
5. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
FOURTH HEALING SOUND: HEART (FIRE)
1. Become aware of the heart and feel the tongue connected with the heart. Take a deep breath and assume the same position as for the Liver Sound, but lean slightly to the right.
2. Open the mouth somewhat, round the lips and exhale on the sound "Hawwwww", sub-vocally, as you picture the pericardium releasing heat, and the feelings of impatience, arrogance and hastiness.
3. For the rest cycle, repeat the procedure for the Liver Sound, but focus attention on your heart and imagine a bright red color and the qualities of joy, honor, sincerity and creativity entering the heart.
4. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
FIFTH HEALING SOUND: SPLEEN (EARTH)
1. Become aware of the spleen; feel the mouth and the spleen connect. Take a deep breath as you place your hands with the index fingers resting at the bottom and slightly to the left of the sternum. Press in with the fingers as you push out with the middle back.
2. Exhale with the sound "Whoooooo", made sub-vocally and felt in the vocal chords. Expel the excess heat, wetness and dampness, and the emotions of worry, sympathy and pity.
3. Breathe into the spleen, pancreas, and stomach, or imagine a bright yellow light, and the qualities of fairness, compassion, centering, and music making entering them.
4. Lower the hands slowly to your lap, palms up. Close the eyes, breathe normally and imagine you are still making the sound. Be aware of sensations and the exchange of energy.
5. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
SIXTH HEALING SOUND: TRIPLE WARMER
The Triple Warmer refers to the three energy centers of the body. The upper level, which consists of the brain, heart, and lungs, is hot. The middle section consisting of the liver, kidneys, stomach, pancreas, and spleen, is warm. The lower level containing the large and small intestines, the bladder, and the sexual organs, is cool. The Triple Warmer Sound balances the temperature of the three levels by bringing hot energy down to the lower center and cold energy up to the upper center, through the digestive tract. This induces a deep, relaxing sleep and is very effective for relieving stress.
1. Lie down on your back. Elevate the knees with a pillow if you feel any pain in the small of the back or lumbar area.
2. Close the eyes and take a deep breath, expanding the stomach and chest without strain.
3. Exhale with the sound "Heeeeeee", made sub-vocally, as you picture and feel a large roller pressing out your breath, beginning at the top of the chest and ending at the lower abdomen. Imagine the chest and abdomen are as flat as a sheet of paper, and feel light, bright, and empty. Rest by breathing normally.
4. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
Practice by taoist Master Mantak Chia in his book, Taoist Ways to Transform Stress into Vitality.