Earth Day presents a time for us to begin or to continue living a path of Ayni, sacred reciprocity, with the natural world around us. To feel within - we human beings are a family, just as the Earth, Sun, Wind, Mountains, Stars, Flowers, Trees... are a family too. We are here to learn from each other, just as we learn from a guardian, teacher or little one.
These days many of us our altering the path of our lives, we are awakening and remembering this connection. With this knowing comes a responsibility. Once we 'see' with our hearts, we remember our truth and the old ways of living do not serve us any longer. Our hearts beat to the rhythm of the Ocean Waves and our soul seeks flight with the Great Eagle, as we fly higher to live in Munay, in a nourishing, all encompassing love and compassion, we spread our wings and vibrate the frequency of Love.
May today inspire your heart to care for the environment near you and far from you. May you feel that everyday embodies the essence of Earth Day. Here I offer some practices to connect more deeply with the web of life surrounding us:
- Sit quietly and be still in the presence of the rising sun or the setting sun. Connect to your heart, your center of Munay. Feel in your heart where you especially would like to direct love (perhaps to an animal, or flower, or place) and with intention, simply send it there.
- Plant seeds of life. Plant a tree or native wildflowers in your garden. When I lived in the city, I would buy a packet of wildflowers and sprinkle them in the park near my home.
- Prepare a nurturing meal of fruits and vegetables of Spring. Fresh, colorful juices and crispy salade greens. Let yourself be cared for by Pachamama, Mother Earth.
- Take a walk or hike in nature. Connect to the boundless Sky above you and the grounding Earth beneath you. Commune with the blooming trees and flowers. Open yourself to the healing energy of these beings.
- Simply give gratitude for your life, for the beauty everywhere. For the Air you breathe, the Water you drink, the Sun that warms you, the Earth that grounds you and nourishes you, and the Spirit inside of you and surrounding you always.
* Photograph 'Dandelion' from my series Kanoa